1. The Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data ("the Commissioner") Mr. Roderick B. Woo published a new Guidance Note on Closed Circuit Television "CCTV") Surveillance Practices ("the Guidance Note")today.
2. "In the past few years, many organizations and government departments have consulted us on the use of CCTV surveillance practices in public areas. The Guidance Note is made after consolidating our experiences and the queries of enquirers." Mr. Woo said.
3. The Guidance Note offers advice to organizations on whether CCTV should be used and how to use CCTV responsibly, and to help them to understand some of the requirements under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance ("the Ordinance") relating to the collection and proper handling of the personal data.
4. The Guidance Note further provides pragmatic guidance to organizations including:
(i)the positioning of CCTV camera and notices;
(ii)the proper handling of recorded images;
(iii)the transfer of CCTV records to third parties; and
(iv)the transparency of CCTV monitoring policy and practice.
5. "When using CCTV in public places, it is our view that a proper balance should be struck between the protection of public interests and personal data privacy. Data users should handle the issue in a fair and transparent manner giving due regards to the rights of personal data privacy." Mr. Woo concluded.
6. The Guidance Note can be obtained from the Commissioner's Office at 12/F., Sunlight Tower, 248 Queen's Road East, Wan Chai, Hong Kong; or downloaded from the Commissioner's Office's website http://www.pcpd.org.hk/english/resources_centre/publications/guidance/files/CCTVpractices_e.pdf.